Monday, November 30, 2009

Distraction #74

Title comes from a song. Kudos if you know the song.

The biggest problem I have when it comes to school or writing or much of anything in my life is the problem of distraction. It's not that I have a short attention span. I've always been the person who is perfectly content to sit still with a book. I can concentrate on pretty much anything, even difficult German novels in translation. (Seriously, if you haven't read The Tin Drum, read it now. It's worth it.)

But when there are too many difficult things going on that I know I have to do, I start avoiding everything like the plague. I have writing assignments in my German class that piled up and I'm finally finishing weeks behind. I worry about German - it's my biggest stumbling block in my undergraduate career, aside from the chemistry and physics I took at the start when I still wasn't a humanities major.

So I avoid. And this avoidance bleeds into other things, my writing included.

I hate it and I don't really know what to do.

I have a story percolating with an unreliable narrator. I'll probably work on concentrating on The Tin Drum to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment